Adding multiple bridges on a single NIC

strawhat

May 25, 2024
Hi. I'm new to proxmox and networking so please bear with me. I'm running proxmox on an Intel NUC. I want to know how can we replicate VMware Workstation Pro's way of adding multiple virtual network adapters on proxmox. I've tried searching about it and trying to read different forums but it's all going over my head. I'm trying to install a VM with multiple network adapters.

Edit: Solved. Sorry, this was a v stupid post. All I had to do was just keep adding the same linux bridge and it would create multiple network adapters inside the VM. For some reason, I thought I had to have multiple bridges for this. I feel so dumb rn

Screenshot 2024-05-24 235128.png

Last edited:
Reactions: justinclift
If you're trying to install a VM with multiple network adapters, then although the initial "Create VM" dialog doesn't seem to let you do it, you can switch to the "Hardware" tab for the VM and add new hardware (including network adapters) afterwards.

Is that the bit you're getting stuck on?

If you're trying to install a VM with multiple network adapters, then although the initial "Create VM" dialog doesn't seem to let you do it, you can switch to the "Hardware" tab for the VM and add new hardware (including network adapters) afterwards.

Is that the bit you're getting stuck on?
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

So, this is the network of my proxmox node. My intel NUC has just 1 NIC.
Screenshot 2024-05-24 225843.png

Can I not just add multiple bridges on that one network device enp86s0? When I try to do that, I get an error that the network device is already in use on interface vmbr0.
Screenshot 2024-05-24 230000.png

This is how I used to do on VMware workstation. I could just add as many as I wanted.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 230221.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-24 230230.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-24 230230.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 2
Oh. What happens if you create the virtual network adapters in your VM, but you don't tell it any network interface? ie leave that field blank

For another thought, you might be able to create the networks your want under the DatacenterSDN section. I've not touched that much yet myself, but it seems like the right kind of thing for doing what you want.

Last edited:
Oh. What happens if you create the virtual network adapters in your VM, but you don't tell it any network interface? ie leave that field blank

For another thought, you might be able to create the networks your want under the DatacenterSDN section. I've not touched that much yet myself, but it seems like the right kind of thing for doing what you want.

I can't add a network adapter to my VM without selecting a bridge. I've to select something there. And I've no idea about the Datacenter - SDN thing

Screenshot (366).png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-24 233327.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-24 233327.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 1

Check OP. I edited. It was just a stupid post lol

It's all good. I wish I was better with the networking side of Proxmox, but it's an area I've not yet had focus time for.

Er... good luck? :)

It's all good. I wish I was better with the networking side of Proxmox, but it's an area I've not yet had focus time for.

Er... good luck? :)
We keep learning all the time. and thanks man, I didn't expect to receive a reply that quickly if at all. Good luck to you too!

Reactions: justinclift

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!