Adding LVs with existing data to new VMs

W

Wisiwyg

I installed Proxmox VE 2.0 on a new multi-core server and have set up several VMs. I have LVs on a couple of old HDs with data that are recognized in the Storage console and can be added to the LVM group. I want to add each of the physical HDs, represented by a different LV each, to a different VM, but without destroying the data already on them. I simply want the respective VM to be able to serve up the data already there. Looking through the options, I'm concerned that adding a new LV to a VM will first destroy the existing data by preparing the drive. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to migrate or backup/restore the data currently on the HDs as the original system they were used in is parted out.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for GUI or CLI instructions on how to add the existing LV to the selected VM in a manner that would not destroy existing data? Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for clarifying...

So, I've edited the conf file as:

boot: c
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 2
ide0: local:105/vm-105-disk-2.raw (this is the imported, functioning VM - a FreeNAS server)
ide1: /dev/sdd2:105/vm-105-disk-1.raw (this is the pre-existing 1tb LV that contains the files I want to serve)
ide2: /none,media=cdrom
memory: 2048
name: Fileserver
etc...

I receive an error upon start: "Error: unexpected status"

What am I doing wrong? I realize it must be something simple...

ide1: /dev/sdd2:105/vm-105-disk-1.raw (this is the pre-existing 1tb LV that contains the files I want to serve)

Sorry, but I am quite sure that '/dev/sdd2:105/vm-105-disk-1.raw' is no valid device name! What linux device do you want to pass exactly?

NVM, solved it.

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!