Adding extra used node to a cluster

sg90

Renowned Member
Sep 21, 2018
I currently have a cluster of 6 node's, I plan to bring up some new extra node's, however due to a network limitation I won't be able to connect them straight away to the cluster network however need to get some VM's running on them.

If I make sure I manually change the new VM ID's so they continue after the current cluster would I have any issues adding this node to the main cluster at a later date?

Or could I at the time delete all the VM config's but keep the local disk storage and then after adding to the cluster re-create the VM config's and re-attach the disks?

I currently have a cluster of 6 node's, I plan to bring up some new extra node's, however due to a network limitation I won't be able to connect them straight away to the cluster network however need to get some VM's running on them.

If I make sure I manually change the new VM ID's so they continue after the current cluster would I have any issues adding this node to the main cluster at a later date?

Or could I at the time delete all the VM config's but keep the local disk storage and then after adding to the cluster re-create the VM config's and re-attach the disks?
PVE will not allow you to join a node with VMs on it, even if you make sure they are unique. It seems to me your best shot is a backup-restore based approach.

Reactions: sg90

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!