Adding eth1 to linux bridge and best setting

Andrew Holybee

Mar 27, 2017
I just want to make sure I am doing this right before I do so. I have 4 interfaces on a node in my cluster I am wanting to add eth1 for redundancy can I just click edit on linux bridge and add it? I don't have any VM's on this node currently. Then should I use Balance-rr, I am currently in the process of figuring out which interfaces are storage and which are lan. We were in a hurry when we switched from Vmware, so once I get done with this I will be pulling 1 cable at a time and labeling it

Attachments

• linux bridge pm04.JPG
    linux bridge pm04.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 10
Hi when you what redundancy you have to use a bond.
remove the eth0 from vmbr0 and make a linux bond1 with eth0 eth1
I would use lacp as bond-mode but it must support by the switch.
If you have no lacp and you wrote you need redundancy use active-backup.

I would need to move the VM prior to doing this correct? Would this affect the cluster in anyway? Do I create the bond first and then remove eth0 from vmbr0 I would think i would lose communication with the node otherwise.
My current switch doesn't support LACP my new one will I am in the process of labeling these cables so I can move them over without disrupting service. We are a 24hour service so there are times where there is less traffic but never times where we aren't using servers.

Last edited:
You can edit the network, it will applied on reboot not on change.

Do I create the bond first and then remove eth0 from vmbr0 I would think i would lose communication with the node otherwise
As I wrote remove the eth0 from the vmbr0 first then create a bond1.

I would need to move the VM prior to doing this correct?
You can't change a network with a running VM. More precise you can but the VM will lost connection until it stop and start again.
If you have a cluster move the VM to the other node

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!