Adding Additional Services to Host

Snowpuddles

Dec 3, 2015
Hello all,
I just recently put together a homeserver and decided to put proxmox on it to run a couple machines for learning/fun hosting. I want to host both webserver and a Teamspeak 3 server at least. I do not have a static IP from my isp so I will be using some dynamic dns client such as DDClient which I have used before on a bare metal machine. My first thought is to put the ddclient service on the host/node itself rather than either of the containers/vms so if I have to take either of them down for some reason, the other wont be affected. (While the chances of this happening are probably close to zero as I dont think my isp changes my IP regularly, or so I have noticed.)

Is installing extra services on the host OS frowned upon or is this an application that could be justified?
Thanks for the help.

Hi,
Proxmox VE is based on Debian 7/8 so you can use it like a Debian 7/8.

Hello all,
I just recently put together a homeserver and decided to put proxmox on it to run a couple machines for learning/fun hosting. I want to host both webserver and a Teamspeak 3 server at least. I do not have a static IP from my isp so I will be using some dynamic dns client such as DDClient which I have used before on a bare metal machine. My first thought is to put the ddclient service on the host/node itself rather than either of the containers/vms so if I have to take either of them down for some reason, the other wont be affected. (While the chances of this happening are probably close to zero as I dont think my isp changes my IP regularly, or so I have noticed.)

Is installing extra services on the host OS frowned upon or is this an application that could be justified?
Thanks for the help.
Why wouldn't you use your router for this?

Hi,
Proxmox VE is based on Debian 7/8 so you can use it like a Debian 7/8.
I cant see any reason why it couldnt be done. I am mostly wondering if there are any reasons that it shouldnt be done.

Why wouldn't you use your router for this?
I am not near my router right now but it may only be able to have one ddns domain registered and I would like to host multiple domains. Looking at the manual right now and there is not much information. I am sure ddwrt or openwrt have better options for this but want to keep stock for the time being.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!