Adding a real HDD to VM Windows server 2019 in Proxmox 7.1 V.E.

mikekgr

May 10, 2021
Dear Sirs,
I have a proxmox 7.1 ve installed on Dell PowerEdge R730 server, having hardware RAID controller (Dell PERC H730P Mini). I have set up two RAIDs virtual disk both consisting of two SAS disks in RAID 1. The 1st v.disk is the proxmox ve installation and the 2nd v.disk is a disk want to *exclusively* use in my Windows server 2019 ve, formated in NTFS for data storage.
My question is: what is the best way to make this happen, taking into consideration the disk I/O speed and throughput performance? I need the best 2nd v.disk performance inside the Windows server 2019 ve
Please consult me, because I am quite newbie in virtualization and Proxmox.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

P.S. I have seen already, that I can passthrough the v.disk to ve and I know how to do it, also I saw the other way to mount the v.disk partition to e.x. /mnt/win_storage and then to pick it up in the ve. Is there other way?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!