Adding 10gb ethernet to existing setup.

Cecil

Sep 22, 2017
I'm in the process of upgrading my existing 3 node cluster with 10gbs ethernet cards and was wondering what the best way forward is.
All 3 nodes are using the current version of proxmox 7 and I'm using a shared NFS Storage disk between them.

I wanted to separate the current 1gb network from the new 10gb one and use the 10gb one just for migration and backup. (its a separate subnet and isolated from my main network to make it more secure)
I saw that there is a setting in datacenter config to change the network but it seems weird as it only shows the IP's of the currently logged in node instead of a blanket CIDR entry to specify a network instead of a node? Also, I'm guessing this will not help with backups and only work for migrations?

Alternatively do I just abandon the dual networking option and simply change the current host bridge to use the 10gb ethernet as the slaves and call it a day?

Last edited:
I think I found the answer, I simply added the NAS to my /etc/hosts and remounted the NFS Share by migrating off all vm from the node and unmounting it.
It automatically remounted using the new subnet based on the host lookup.

Setting the migration settings on the datacenter takes care of the migration step and hosts configs takes care of backup and regular vm performance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!