[SOLVED] Added user, now getting error "No ticket(401)"

LooneyTunes

Jun 1, 2019
Hi,

I added a new user to Proxmox, and gave it the administrator role (permissions) to begin with, I will narrow it down later, aim was to mimc root user. But though it seems to work intially, almost instantly it gives me the error "No ticket (401".

I guess I must have missed something, or the new user is not registered in PVE correctly, but what could cause this? And more importantly, how can I correct this? Point being, I want to disable the user "root".

Once it has given the error for the new user, I then get this even for root. Restart does not help unfortunately.

Edit: And I get constantly logged out... I managed to remove the new user I created, but still the same thing...

Any idea? I have tried the docs, but haven't found a probable cause there (yet). How can I regain control via GUI, I have SSH access luckily.

Thanks

Last edited:
so strange. Under permissions I had another entry against a role PVEAdmin. After removing that, and readding the user, things seem to start working again. When adding 2FA to it, I now got a password prompt. I did not the first time...

What realm are you talking about? There are user@pam and user@pve. pve realm is just for the webUI/API. user@pam is systemwide but you need to manually create the linux user first (using adduser with CLI), then add it with the same name to PVE.

What realm are you talking about? There are user@pam and user@pve. pve realm is just for the webUI/API. user@pam is systemwide but you need to manually create the linux user first (using adduser with CLI), then add it with the same name to PVE.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I use the @pam realm.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!