Add server as non-voting member of cluster?

garbled

Feb 9, 2021
I'm wondering if I can add a server as a non-voting member of a cluster. I currently have a cluster of 5 machines, and want to build one more, that is more or less dedicated to running a specific application. However, I would like the ability to disk-migrate a VM over to the main cluster for upgrades/emergencies.

Is this even possible?

Hi,
yes, you can set the number of for one node to zero (see example pve-cl5 below). But as far as I know, you can't set the expected votes lower than the number of nodes in the cluster currently active.

Code:
  node {
    name: pve-cl4
    nodeid: 1
    quorum_votes: 1
    ring0_addr: 192.168.18.14
  }
  node {
    name: pve-cl5
    nodeid: 4
    quorum_votes: 0
    ring0_addr: 192.168.18.15
  }

Thank you. Hrmm. that might not solve my actual problem, which is that I don't want to mess up my existing quorum.

The idea is that I want to build a proxmox server to run my pfsense. I want it to normally have as few interdependencies as possible, so it should be able to come up on it's own, if the whole network is down. However, I want to be able to move the vm off for a few minutes for patching of the underlying proxmox server when needed, and not lose the internet.

So my idea was to hook it into my large 5-node cluster, and then do a disk migration when needed, and then migrate back. But if the proxmox host running pfsense is a voting member, now I have a 6-node, and sadness.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!