Add second IP address range to Host for use on VZ container

So nobody else has a working configuration of 2 subnets on one nic working with VZ containers? Is it not possible with Proxmox/Openvz?

So nobody else has a working configuration of 2 subnets on one nic working with VZ containers? Is it not possible with Proxmox/Openvz?
Hi,
thats no problem of proxmox or openvz!
It's impossible to reach a network with an gateway outside of this network! So, if your provider gives you as gateway the address of another network-segment, you must do your own routing (this can be done with shorewall, like col wrote).

Udo

Hi jvalla,
have you solved your problem ? I'm trying to configure the same setup. My Hardware node is using some IP address and I've got different set of ip addresses (different network) from my ISP for use with containers. I'm still not able to configure it :(

Hello.

Has there been any progress with a solution to this problem? Am I going to need to write customer network rules to get this to work or has this been added as a feature in proxmox2?

I can't see why this would not be a feature as its common for IP space to run out and new ranges to be issued.

Thanks,

Paul Hughes
http://www.ukhost4u.com/

Simply change Neighbour-Devs in /etc/vz/vz.conf from 'detect' to 'all' and restart with /etc/init.d/vz restart ... This worked for me many times.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hello.

I fully understand that, but how did you add the extra IP's within the backend? Did you just assign them to the containers or did you need to add the new VLAN with its new gateway and netmask to the system?

Thanks,

Paul

Has there been any progress with a solution to this problem? Am I going to need to write customer network rules to get this to work or has this been added as a feature in proxmox2?

I can't see why this would not be a feature as its common for IP space to run out and new ranges to be issued.

...but how did you add the extra IP's within the backend? Did you just assign them to the containers or did you need to add the new VLAN with its new gateway and netmask to the system?

It is depend on your network layout. First you must know who is doing the ROUTING? Your NSP/ISP (upstream) or your self. (see udo comment: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/55...ost-for-use-on-VZ-container?p=31337#post31337)

If your upstream doing the routing then simple add the new IP (even different subnet/range) to your VM, everything will work fine.
If your upstream only give you plain IP which you must doing the routing your self then you have several choice: using VLAN, add secondary NIC, use 1 NIC but 2 subnet, or use 1 NIC but custom routing, even doing the routing on your ROUTER H/W.

Since this question quite difficult to answer but easy if you provide real information such as your network layout.

Awesome I know this post is old but your solution was the fast and easiest to do thanks so much for your post

Simply change Neighbour-Devs in /etc/vz/vz.conf from 'detect' to 'all' and restart with /etc/init.d/vz restart ... This worked for me many times.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks worked perfectly, I've been looking for the "how to" on this for a couple weeks now :p

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!