add remote directory of cluster as local storage?

nate

Mar 15, 2011
Here is my situation any insight would be helpful.

I have a 2 node cluster in my lab. I do not have shared storage and I do not want to use DRDB as I will want to add additional nodes.

I would like to be able to take a backup/snapshot of node1 and store it on node2. And then do the same for node2 with node 1. I want to do this so if hardware dies on node 1 or 2 I have a recent backup of the vm that I can resume in the working node.

How best would I accomplish this? Thanks for the help.

you can run a NFS server on each node and use a NFS export from node1 to store backups from node2 and vice versa.

you can run a NFS server on each node and use a NFS export from node1 to store backups from node2 and vice versa.

I also saw some google posts in general about using sshfs too with a mount point. You think there is any benefit to sshfs, would it work? Do you know of any good docs you could point me to setup the NFS server, etc?

Thanks for the help Tom. Much appreciated.

just to note, running NFS on Proxmox VE is not optimal but works in most cases without issues.

Code:
aptitude install nfs-kernel-server

Configure nfs exports (just an example, adapt this to your network setup):

Code:
nano /etc/exports

/srv/backup 192.168.0.0/255.255.240.0(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)

And finally, restart NFS server:

Code:
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart

an then mount the nfs storage via GUI.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!