Add new network card

ivangalves

Apr 2, 2020
What to do when the hardware is not recognized on an already functioning server?

When you install the same version with the card it is recognized and the interface works

Hi,

runs on the working server and the newly installed server the same kernel?

If yes then have a look at what the logs say about it.
And dmesg is helpful for such problems.

Hello Wolfgang, I wasn’t very specific, but I’ll explain what’s going on.

I have a Server in production, a Dell R710, I need to add a dual 10G network card so I went to do a lab with another server but they are not the same as an Intel 1200BTL card, when installing Proxmox with the card already installed on the server the Driver appears in lspci, the hardware is identified and the interfaces are available on the server to add to VM`s.

If I install without the card and later add the installation simulating my scenario as I would be adding the card to a server already in operation it does not appear in lspci and the hardware is not identified.

Very strange because in the xenserver with the x and pif-scan commands it is recognized immediately.

It could be that if I put it on the production server it will be recognized without problems, but I would like to be prepared if it is not recognized to perform the procedures so that it can activate, as I have 10 VMs in production on this server.

I hope I have explained everyone's understanding clearly and easily, as it is something that on other virtualization platforms is very simple.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!