Add Multiple Displays to ProxMox Guest

Jeffrey Roberts

Jan 11, 2019
I have been trying to get SPICE to work on my iMac to connect to my ProxMox guest, but SPICE is just not ready for OSX in my opinion, I can't get it to work for the life of me...

Is there any other way to add multiple displays to a guest machine?

I have been trying to get SPICE to work on my iMac to connect to my ProxMox guest, but SPICE is just not ready for OSX in my opinion, I can't get it to work for the life of me...

Yes, it is very way. I also tried the current builds and they're not working properly. I'm currently running an Ubuntu VirtualBox and the SPICE client therein.

Is there any other way to add multiple displays to a guest machine?

With SPICE yes. Another way would be to use the internal screen sharing stuff like RDP or NX/x2go for Linux based systems, but the later has also not so good MacOS support. The only viable option is RDP, where you can use multiple monitors.

When you say RDP, are you referring to https://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/ ?

I should have mentioned the guest OS is OS X as well

I would really really like to be able to VNC or RDP into the guest OS (OS X) and have multiple monitor support, my life would be complete if I could get this accomplished =]

I should have mentioned the guest OS is OS X as well

Oh, yeah. That would have helped :p
SPICE for MacOS as a GUEST .... hmm.. I've never heard of it. I don't think that is something someone works on.

Yes, there is no RDP on MacOS, but there is VNC which works very well. Just enable via Settings -> Sharing -> Screen sharing. I haven't tried with multiple screens yet and I don't think that you'd be able to add more than one screen for a VM without SPICE. It could probably be done via PCIe passthrough of multiple MacOS-supported graphics adapters, but I don't that that has been done either.

Another possible solution would be to use Teamviewer or iMessage (if you could get that to work in a VM) for screen sharing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!