add existing disk

olaus

Mar 22, 2012
Hi,

can't find "add existing disk" to a vm either new or already existing. Would be nice, to have the option somewhere in the web interface.
We're editing the conf File by hand for now.

Thanks for the great piece of Software.
best regards

try add a new disk with the same configuration of your existent disk and remove blank disk and copy your disk with data on the same place. i work with raw files one time i do that without any problem to replace a backup disk file on tests. To everyting with your machine stoped.

Example: Location of pysical file:

zulu:/var/lib/vz/images/<<VMID>>#

vm-<<VMID>>-disk-<<DISKID>>.raw

Note i do it with disks with data i don´t do that with system disks. i use separate files for system, swap and data.

Last edited:
try add a new disk with the same configuration of your existent disk and remove blank disk and copy your disk with data on the same place. i work with raw files one time i do that without any problem to replace a backup disk file on tests. To everyting with your machine stoped.

Example: Location of pysical file:

zulu:/var/lib/vz/images/<<VMID>>#

vm-<<VMID>>-disk-<<DISKID>>.raw

Note i do it with disks with data i don´t do that with system disks. i use separate files for system, swap and data.

this is still a cludge.
If I might I'd like to add it as a wishlist item to specify existing files or LVM volumes from the web interface. Right now I just edit /etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf.
(also a cludge)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!