Add custom screen resolution to a VM console

mn124700

Feb 22, 2020
I'm hoping to add a custom screen resolution for viewing the console of a VM. The VM is running Ubuntu 23 MATE, and I'm currently using NoVNC for viewing. I have the VM configured as follows...

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 7.48.08 AM.png

I tried adding a custom screen resolution (1624 x 960) directly into the Ubuntu VM, using two different methods (xrandr, and modification of GRUB). The xrandr approach gave me what I wanted (sort of), except that the screen cursor doesn't stay tracked across the entire width of the screen. I end up with a double-cursor at one end.

It has occurred to me that Ubuntu probably gets its internal list of screen resolutions by querying the capabilities of attached video hardware. In the case of a VM, it must be getting this information from Proxmox or NoVNC. So, I suspect things would work better if I could add my custom screen resolution directly into Proxmox rather than Ubuntu.

How might I go about doing this?
Thanks,
Eric

Have you considered trying SPICE? AFAIK, you can have the resolution you want just by resizing your window.
That sounds great. But, I'm on OSX, and the SPICE clients don't seem to be stable at this point, at least from what I've read.

That sounds great. But, I'm on OSX, and the SPICE clients don't seem to be stable at this point, at least from what I've read.
Yes, they're shitty. I always use VirtualBox/VMware/Parallels to boot Linux and use the SPICE client from there.

I can also recommend to use X2GO as client for Linux, which does not use the virtual graphics card at all.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!