Add a SSD to an existing setup with ZFS, partially as root and partially as ZFS cache

totototototo

Nov 26, 2018
I have been searching for articles on moving the system root to another volume, can't find any useful.

and as well i am considering if i could move an existing proxmox system to a new SSD.

Current setup:
4 HDDs as ZFS size 7T.
- Proxmox is setup on this
- and all VM hdd images are on this.

Change setup to be:
new SSD 250GB
  • 2 partitions
    • Partition 1 (maybe 32GB): Proxmox system moved to this
    • Partition 2 (rest): setup as Cache to the 7T ZFS.
existing 7T ZFS (from the 4 existing HDDs)

questions:
1. would this be a good setup?
2. anyone could feed me some steps/references?

1. would this be a good setup?

You will build a single point of failure if you move your already "raided" PVE setup to one "unraided" disk. I would not recommend that.

2. anyone could feed me some steps/references?

L2ARC is unfortunately not a mighty "get-fast"-switch so that you have to consider your current setup (RAM mainly) and often results in a slower system. Most ZFSs gain more performance by using a SLOG, not a L2ARC. To get ZFS speed, add more RAM and/or more vdevs. I suppose you use a RAIDz1 on the 4 disks or are you already using a stripped mirror? If you can tolerate less space, use two vdevs, because one vdev does perform worse than two. The reads/writes are spread across vdevs so with only one vdev, you will have only the performance from one drive.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!