ACLs on ZFS - what's the right way?

el_pedr0

Aug 5, 2016
Hi all,

I'd like to start using acls on bind mounts in my Linux containers. My filesystem is ZFS.

I've read that ZFS uses nfsv4 acl while linux uses posixacl which can cause some problems if incorrectly configured. Please could you advise the right approach.

Wiki states
"ZFS uses as default store for ACL hidden files on filesystem. This reduces performance enormously and with several thousand files a system can feel unresponsive. Storing the xattr in the inode will revoke this performance issue.

Modification to do

Code:
zfs set xattr=sa dnodesize=auto vmstore/data
"

This thread from 2015 suggests I should do
Code:
zfs set acltype=posixacl pool_path

I've read elsewhere:
Code:
zfs set aclmode=passthrough dataset
zfs set aclinherit=passthrough-x dataset

Edit: I don't think I actually _need_ to be able to setfacl in the container - I would be happy defining acls on the host. But I do need the containers to obey the acls.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!