Accidentally removed node from cluster now stuck

paulmorabi

Mar 30, 2019
Hi,

I'm running Proxmox 5.3.12 on two nodes (A & B). I had them in a cluster. I was toying around with some cluster commands and I accidentally removed node B from the cluster. I now can't start any VM's on node B because it is complaining about the quoram. On node A, I've been able to restart VM's by reducing the quoram to 1.

I tried rejoining the cluster from B to A. However, it says "* this host already contains virtual guests". I reluctantly tried to remove the VM's but that also doesn't work because there isn't quoram. I searched online and found that stopping pve-cluster and running "/usr/bin/pmxcfs -l" works in that I can start the VM's again.

Is there any way I can re-join the cluster? If I have to wipe node B and restart again, and if it's the same hostname, will it have issues rejoining the cluster? (as the node is greyed out on A)

Any help would be very appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. This has worked for node B.

Now I am trying to rejoin the cluster in node A. In the web UI on node A, cluster information says it's a standalone node with no cluster defined. Yet, the two cluster nodes (including the one I have removed) is still there. "Join Information" is greyed out so I can't rejoin.

pvecm status says:

root@pve:/etc/pve/nodes# pvecm status
Quorum information
------------------
Date: Sat Apr 6 08:40:32 2019
Quorum provider: corosync_votequorum
Nodes: 1
Node ID: 0x00000001
Ring ID: 1/1012
Quorate: No
Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes: 2
Highest expected: 2
Total votes: 1
Quorum: 2 Activity blocked
Flags:
Membership information
----------------------
Nodeid Votes Name
0x00000001 1 192.168.1.10 (local)

and pvecm nodes:

root@pve:/etc/pve/nodes# pvecm nodes
Membership information
----------------------
Nodeid Votes Name
1 1 192.168.1.10 (local)

I also tried to remove the old nodes data from /etc/pvecm/nodes but I a getting a permission denied.

EDIT: So I reblooted, deleted node B using "pvecm delnode" from node A and then was able to remove it from /etc/pvecm/nodes/. It's no longer displaying in the GUI. The only remaining issue is the LVM volume from node B is still displaying in node A. Any ideas on this?

Last edited:
If it is still visible you have it in your storage config (/etc/pve/storage.cfg). Remove it from there and you should be fine. (Can be done via GUI 'Datacenter -> Storage' as well)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!