Accidentally deleted Proxmox?

DerPasi

Feb 21, 2021
Hi,
i wanted to upgrade from 6.3.xxx to 6.4.x but something went wrong... I got this Error-Message:

W: (pve-apt-hook) !! WARNING !!
W: (pve-apt-hook) You are attempting to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you really want to permanently remove 'proxmox-ve' from your system, run the following command
W: (pve-apt-hook) touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'
W: (pve-apt-hook) run apt purge proxmox-ve to remove the meta-package
W: (pve-apt-hook) and repeat your apt invocation.
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you are unsure why 'proxmox-ve' would be removed, please verify
W: (pve-apt-hook) - your APT repository settings
W: (pve-apt-hook) - that you are using 'apt full-upgrade' to upgrade your system

... i googled a bit but couldn't find a solution and entered touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'...
Then i upgraded and it worked... but... did i just remove proxmox from my server? xD That would be bad tho... Is there any chance to get it back or do i have to reinstall everything?
Greetings ^^

If you allowed it to remove proxmox-ve you deinstalled it and now just got a Debian.
Let me guess...you previously installed PVE ontop of a Debian and you didn't finished the last (optional) step from the wiki "Optional: Remove the Debian kernel"? In that case an apt update can find a newer version of the Debian kernel and may want to install it. Because the new Debian kernel is conflicting with the proxmox-ve package (because PVE needs its own modified Ubuntu kernel) it will ask you if you want to remove proxmox-ve.
Atleast I got the same problem once because of that.

Not sure if your configuration is still there if you just install the proxmox-ve package again.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerPasi
If you allowed it to remove proxmox-ve you deinstalled it and now just got a Debian.
Let me guess...you previously installed PVE ontop of a Debian and you didn't finished the last (optional) step from the wiki "Optional: Remove the Debian kernel"? In that case an apt update can find a newer version of the Debian kernel and may want to install it. Because the new Debian kernel is conflicting with the proxmox-ve package (because PVE needs its own modified Ubuntu kernel) it will ask you if you want to remove proxmox-ve.
Atleast I got the same problem once because of that.

Not sure if your configuration is still there if you just install the proxmox-ve package again.
Thx for your quick answer.
No actually i installed it from the official iso... ^^ How to install the proxmox-ve package ?

Fine that it worked. Maybe because you didn't try to reboot so still the old kernel was used.
If you now run PVE7 you still should make sure to read the pve6to7 update guide. You might need to change the repositories and so on because PVE7 is based on Debian Bullseye and not Buster.

Reactions: DerPasi
Fine that it worked. Maybe because you didn't try to reboot so still the old kernel was used.
If you now run PVE7 you still should make sure to read the pve6to7 update guide. You might need to change the repositories and so on because PVE7 is based on Debian Bullseye and not Buster.
I already updated the repos'. I only get 1 Warning:
WARN: Ceph health reported as 'HEALTH_WARN'.
Use the PVE dashboard or 'ceph -s' to determine the specific issues and try to resolve them.
but everything else is fine.

cluster:
id: 482f1169-a620-412b-a78a-afc79e58a99f
health: HEALTH_WARN
mon is allowing insecure global_id reclaim
Reduced data availability: 1 pg inactive
OSD count 0 < osd_pool_default_size 3

services:
mon: 1 daemons, quorum proxmox (age 98m)
mgr: proxmox(active, since 98m)
osd: 0 osds: 0 up, 0 in

data:
pools: 1 pools, 1 pgs
objects: 0 objects, 0 B
usage: 0 B used, 0 B / 0 B avail
pgs: 100.000% pgs unknown
1 unknown

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!