Accessibly installing with the Bare-Metal ISO

tcikoritys

Jun 21, 2022
Hi,

I'm totally blind, and use screen readers (Orca, NVDA, Speakup, etc). I know the Proxmox installer can be navigated via keyboard, but has anyone gotten it to work with speech? I've done some digging, and see that the installer is using GTK and HTML. This may work with Orca, but it's not present in the installation media, and I had problems installing anything in the live environment. For fun, I did some searching, but couldn't find any way to roll a custom installer ISO.
I know you can install on top of Debian, but I don't have any special requirements that would fit, and would like the standard installation supported by official media.

Thanks for your help!

The installer is open source, but non-debian-standard, therefore it might be possible but I don't know how.
As you already said, the Debian way will work but I do understand that this is a huge overhead for just trying.

The only option I see here is to either got the Debian way or rely on a preconfigured virtualized PVE (VirtualBox, Hyper-V, VMware) but I do not know how to integrate screen readers into that.

Is the process to create a PVE ISO published anywhere? I found the installer and the PVE package sources, but nothing on creating the ISO. This would help, as installing packages in the live environment for testing doesn't work, and trying to inject packages into the ISO would be annoying.

I know you can install on top of Debian, but I don't have any special requirements that would fit, and would like the standard installation supported by official media.
For now, installing Debian and setting PVE up on top of that is probably the best route for now. I am not sure what you mean by "special requirements" though. Installing from the installer or via Debian and setting up Proxmox on top of that shouldn't differ all that much in terms of system configuration. The only drawback, as far as I am aware, is that it is rather complicated to set up a ZFS-backed installation configured like the installer does.

Is the process to create a PVE ISO published anywhere?
No. As far as I've heard. the process of building the ISO was public at some point. However, nowadays it seems to depend a lot on some factors which would be hard to replicate (i.e. the internal build infrastructure). Therefore the decision was made to make it a private repository, as it would just be more hassle to maintain publicly than what it is worth.

Still, please feel free to open a issue on our bugtracker (https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/) for this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!