Accent character give problem to virt-viewer on Windows

gegero

Feb 7, 2018
I manage to isolate a specific bug:

- Windows 10, Virt-viewer
- Windows is configured with French locale

If you use chrome (tested with last stable), when clicking on the button spice on the proxmox gui, a file is download. File name is "Téléchargement.vv".
If it is directly opened in virt-viewer (Windows 10 so), we get the message: "Cannot dermine the connection type from URI".
Just rename it "Telechargement.vm" and all is ok : ))

Firefox don't have this problem because downloaded file names are like "BZ9RbW73.vv".

I don't know why firefox handle differently than chrome the downloaded file name.
I think the headers from the HTML request sended by proxmox are buggy and should be revised so a name like "BZ9RbW73.vv" is used on firefox AND CHROME or any other browser.
I think chrome cannot create the file with the name given in the headers so it fall back to "download.vv" wich is translated depending OS locale (i try changing Chrome to EN local but it keeps to use "Téléchargement" wich mean download in french, so it is more OS locale which is used by chrome to name downloaded files.

For now i will use Firefox, but i hope this issue could be corrected as it is easy to reproduce (i imagine for english local you get download.vv but is should be something like BZ9RbW73.vv so it will work any locale OS).

hi, yeah im looking into this, we will probably change the code so that we give the file a custom name (except for firefox)

Same issue. Silly french accents.

As workaround, I've set Chrome langage to English, so the filename has changed from "téléchargement.vv" to "download.vv".

Issue solved !

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!