About to upgrade host MB and Proc

DurzoBlint123

Mar 16, 2022
Hello all,

I'm about to upgrade my MB and Processor on one of my Proxmox hosts in my homelab from a 10th gen Core i5 to a 12th gen Core i5.
If I simply swap out the MB and attempt to boot back up as-is, will proxmox see the hardware changes and continue to boot? I'm assuming I'll have to make adjustments to the NIC binding, but I'm really hoping I don't have to fully reinstall proxmox and get it reconfigured again. I'm also hoping that my LVM storage will carry over? I actually have the disks configured as an LVM raid 5 via command line because I couldn't afford the ram hit by using zfs.
Let me know if you have any guidance.
Thanks!

Proxmox handles hardware changes as well as Linux in general does. The problematic parts are the NIC (run ip a and use nano /etc/network/interfaces to change it accordingly). Any PCI(e) passthrough needs to be adjusted (per VM and in /etc/modprobe.d/ and maybe kernel parameters) because it it unlikely that it will not change (disable automatically starting of VM beforehand). On-board devices might change their USB ID and/or ports and you need to adjust USB passthrough per VM accordingly. Both systems are Intel so that won't cause issues, but don't forget to enable VT-x (and VT-d and maybe the primary GPU).
There have been similar threads on the forum but they might be hard to find.

Reactions: DurzoBlint123
FWIW, in case anyone else is looking up similar answers... I wrote down all of my command line history and backed up my various config files here and there in full prep that, worst case, I'd have to start from scratch...
Well I swapped out my gen 10 MSI MB and Proc and put in my gen 12 ASUS MB and proc. Went straight into BIOS first to make sure I enabled IOMMU since I'm doing GPU passthrough. Then booted it up. I was floored when I found that EVERYTHING worked perfectly with pretty much NO manipulation needed. My onboard NIC was still holding the static IP it was given before. My GPU passthrough was still listed and working in the windows 11 VM. All my LVM Disks were still there and holding their software raid. I mean, windows would have completely blown up if I had tried this. So I was very happy with Proxmox, and Linux in general on how well it handles hardware changes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!