About ceph over vpn performance question.

akong

Oct 15, 2018
Proxmox ceph node(A) <----> firewall <---------------internet--------------> proxmox ve client(B) (use vpn connect to ceph node and mount rbd)
My question is (A) create vm and storage set to ceph rbd.The VM very fast.
But (B) create vm and set to remote storage rbd is very slow.I has see iops almost not not working.How to test it?

I doubt ceph over VPN will work well, ceph needs a good network connection, and routing is not what you want for that.

Pretty much, see also the requirements (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pveceph.html):

We recommend a network bandwidth of at least 10 GbE or more, which is used exclusively for Ceph. A meshed network setup [4] is also an option if there are no 10 GbE switches available.

Since Ceph replicates syncrounously, a write command will only be confirmed once at least one copy has been written on the other side. Small bandwidth and high network latency makes it so that you will wait for a long time for your iops to be completed.

You could try using ZFS instead with (asynchronous) replication, but I dont have much experience with that. Also iirc that still requires the hosts to be in the same cluster and Proxmox also requires low latencies for the corosync cluster network.

Generally, making a stretched cluster is not feasible with Proxmox right now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!