Able to install to ZFS pool but cannot reboot

spacebass

Feb 25, 2019
Hey folks,
I'm not exactly sure how to articulate this challenge. Also, it's a challenge that spans my specific hardware and promox which means it doesn't have a great home :)

I have a Dell r710 with a HBA flashed into IT mode.

When I boot the install media, I see all 6 attached discs as separate discs. I can make a ZFS pool (in my case, drive0 and drive1 are a mirrored pool for install and the other 4 drives are a pool for data). I can successfully install and reboot into Proxmox.

That's where the success ends. If/when I reboot again, I get an error that the machine cannot find a boot disc. It is as if the HBA doesn't present the drives in time or the ZFS pool doesn't assemble.

I've tried the rescue option with the install CD but it seems to just relaunch the installer.

I know this sounds like a hardware issue, and it likely is. But I'm hoping this community might have some suggestions on things to try or test or ways to troubleshoot.

Thanks yall!

do you get to the grub/systemd-boot screen, or before that?

did you install in uefi or bios mode? some machines cannot boot from some pci devices in e.g. uefi mode, only legacy (or reverse)
also check the 'oprom' options of the pci devices are set to the right mode (e.g. legacy/uefi)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!