a way of redoing a vm configured with libvirt on proxmox

Nov 8, 2022
Hello,

I tested a "bizare" OS (OpenVMS) on Proxmox and it hangs in the first boot. I tested it on a fedora environment, using libvirt configurator, and it works. Apparently the configurations are the same.

Is there a way to "export" the libvirt configuration, and "import" it on proxmox?

Thanks

no there is no libvirt import, but if you post both the libvirt xml and the qemu vm config, maybe we can see what's wrong

also you can get the qemu commandline from the pve vm config with
Code:
qm showcmd ID --pretty
so you could get the running commandline from libvirt and compare

no there is no libvirt import, but if you post both the libvirt xml and the qemu vm config, maybe we can see what's wrong

also you can get the qemu commandline from the pve vm config with
Code:
qm showcmd ID --pretty
so you could get the running commandline from libvirt and compare
Hello,

I join the libvirt configuration (xml), the proxmox configuration, and the command for proxmox.

There are more disks on libvirt, I can use all, and install the os from the iso. On proxmox it begins a boot from the cd and hangs when it tries to associate a ram disk copied before that on memory (the support for OpenVMS speaks about DIMM1 usage).

Any idea welcomed.

Attachments

• conf_libvirt_xml.txt
    9.7 KB · Views: 4
  • cmd_prox.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 106_conf.txt
    533 bytes · Views: 3
Hello,

I join the libvirt configuration (xml), the proxmox configuration, and the command for proxmox.

There are more disks on libvirt, I can use all, and install the os from the iso. On proxmox it begins a boot from the cd and hangs when it tries to associate a ram disk copied before that on memory (the support for OpenVMS speaks about DIMM1 usage).

Any idea welcomed.
Hello,

Do you think I can submit this issue as a "ticket" of support? I choose ProxMox to develop my use of OpenVMS virtualised, because it seems more robust than libvirt... and for now I can use libvirt and not ProxMox.

i looked a bit over the configs (i really dislike xml though ;) ) and a few things stood out:

* in libvirt you have 4 cores, but in the pve config you configured 4 sockets, try using 4 cores instead
* the machine type is 7.0 in libvirt, but 7.1 in the pve conf, you might want to set that manually to 7.0?)
also trying to use i440fx instead of q35 could also help (thats not what libvirt here uses, but worth atry)
* the display type in libvirt ist set to spice/qxl, so thats also what you can try to set in pve
* in libvirt also the hpet is disabled, you can try to add '-no-hpet' to the 'args' of the pve config

Do you think I can submit this issue as a "ticket" of support? I choose ProxMox to develop my use of OpenVMS virtualised, because it seems more robust than libvirt... and for now I can use libvirt and not ProxMox.
if you have a basic subscription or higher, you can try, but AFAIU getting "unknown" guest os to run is not really covered by the subscription agreement

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!