a simple way to passthrough an internal SATA DVD burner [solved]

You could try to passthrough a separate controller to the VM. This may or may not work, yet you can isolate it.
Thank you. I tried this first but passing through the HBA controller made Proxmox crash. Didn't work.

There the "separate controller". Of course everything crashs if you passthrough a used device.
Very vague statement...? We tried to separate it as much as we could. Moved it to different IOMMU groups but it just doesn't work on that machine.

So, this kind of works for me. I followed along with the posts in this thread and i have a proxmox 8.1.10 box with 3 optical drives in it shared via iSCSI. all miss-matched.
  • LG WH16NS60 (UHD running LibreDrive firmware)
  • LG WH14NS40 (UHD running LibreDrive firmware)
  • ASUS BW-16D1X-U but really is a Pioneer pulled out of an external enclosure (Blu-ray running stock firmware)
I have all 3 of these connected to a separate windows box via iSCSI and am running 3 instances of MakeMKV at the same time. The ASUS/Pioneer drive seems to be doing fine but the LG drives are making some progress and then stalling out. There are a lot of moving parts here it could be the iSCSI stuff, or the LibreDrive firmwares, or the LG brand vs ASUS/Pioneer, or something else entirely. I'm probably going to just move on to another project for a while but if anyone has worked through a similar thing please let me know.

So, this kind of works for me. I followed along with the posts in this thread and i have a proxmox 8.1.10 box with 3 optical drives in it shared via iSCSI. all miss-matched.
  • LG WH16NS60 (UHD running LibreDrive firmware)
  • LG WH14NS40 (UHD running LibreDrive firmware)
  • ASUS BW-16D1X-U but really is a Pioneer pulled out of an external enclosure (Blu-ray running stock firmware)
I have all 3 of these connected to a separate windows box via iSCSI and am running 3 instances of MakeMKV at the same time. The ASUS/Pioneer drive seems to be doing fine but the LG drives are making some progress and then stalling out. There are a lot of moving parts here it could be the iSCSI stuff, or the LibreDrive firmwares, or the LG brand vs ASUS/Pioneer, or something else entirely. I'm probably going to just move on to another project for a while but if anyone has worked through a similar thing please let me know.

Never-mind, it looks like it was the disks i was using. I used a different set of disks and while it was very slow it did not stall out.

Just to throw my $.02 here... I really want to use MakeMKV with a VM but I wasn't prepared to go down the wild iSCSI hack, and my mobo has a 2230 E-key connector, which there are JMicron SATA controllers to fit into this slot - which is just a PCIe slot. So I figured Passthrough had to work to a Windows VM. I bought the part and installed it and it worked for one disc but the next disc I tried it just wouldn't read. =( I also experienced some terrible mouse stuttering and overall unhappy VM behaviors (but no crashes, but I did have to Stop the VM a couple times to recover). I tried installing the JMicron SATA driver (Win10 listed only, but 11 took it) but that seemed to make things worse. I really had hopes for this solution. I don't need to do this all the time but I wanted the option in Proxmox. I may go down the iSCSI route but I'll probably just put the drive back in my bare metal and maybe try the E-Key passthrough at a later Proxmox version time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!