A question on vmware vsga

Republicus

Aug 7, 2017
I have a question concerning the vmware vga setting of a QEMU/KVM guest.

Does this setting require any vmware/third-party software (like virtviewer for spice) ?

The reason I ask this is because the AMD S7000 server video card is compatible with VMWare VSGA and with it the video card "effectively does shared graphics across multiple virtual machines". Since Proxmox has a vmware vga setting I hope this means I can test those capabilities within Proxmox VE.
AMD put out [this video] (2:44) describing within VMWare -- what I wish to test in Proxmox.

Any suggestions, thoughts?

Does this setting require any vmware/third-party software (like virtviewer for spice) ?
no

The reason I ask this is because the AMD S7000 server video card is compatible with VMWare VSGA and with it the video card "effectively does shared graphics across multiple virtual machines". Since Proxmox has a vmware vga setting I hope this means I can test those capabilities within Proxmox VE.
this is a vmware specific technology and will not work with proxmox. also note that the acronyms are different : 'vsga' (virtual shared graphics adapter) vs 'vga' (Video Graphics Array) so it has nothing to do with each other

also afaics vsga is only useful in a 'thin client' environment with vmware horizon

the only way currently for a single graphics card to provide gpu acceleration for vms in proxmox is to use a s7150 or to use mdev gpu passthrough of intel gpus (skylake+) and do pci passthrough
(some users reported some success with nvidia vgpus, though i cannot confirm that since we do not have such a card here)

with that approach you lose the built in vnc/spice (if you want the desktop to be accelerated)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!