A Question About Restoration (Proxmox 7)

Whitterquick

Aug 1, 2020
Hello all,

A (hopefully) quick question here… If I have Proxmox setup with my VMs on a separate SSD, and things go wrong to the point of having to reinstall, would reading the VMs be as easy as selecting them from the SSD?

Thanks

The disk images should still be there if you just add the storage again, but the VM configs are stored under /etc/pve/qemu-server or /etc/pve/lxc for containers. You will need to at least back up those. If you are at it, /etc/pve/storage.cfg is most likely also good to have in a basic PVE installation (no extra users and other customizations).

Reactions: Whitterquick
It is advisable that you make backups too, because if the SSD disk gets corrupted you will loose all your virtual machines.
With a PBS (Proxmox Backup Server) server you can make backups of your virtual machines keeping several versions for each VM and even sync these backups to a remote location.

It is advisable that you make backups too, because if the SSD disk gets corrupted you will loose all your virtual machines.
With a PBS (Proxmox Backup Server) server you can make backups of your virtual machines keeping several versions for each VM and even sync these backups to a remote location.
Will PBS work for me if my VMs are encrypted?

Also, is PVE always writing to disk and causing wear, or does it just write the normal amount (as any OS)? My SSD seems to be dying but it has had a seemingly short life considering it was always running a server OS or Hypervisor, neither with much loaded on them…

Will PBS work for me if my VMs are encrypted?

Also, is PVE always writing to disk and causing wear, or does it just write the normal amount (as any OS)? My SSD seems to be dying but it has had a seemingly short life considering it was always running a server OS or Hypervisor, neither with much loaded on them…

Yes, PBS works at block level independently of the block contents.

PVE write to disk when the VM OS requests this write, then it dependes on the VM I/O activity.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!