A lot of mail-addresses are missing in statistics

Robert Hirzinger

May 15, 2017
Hi Everyone,
can you please help me investigate the issue:
I use PMG as an internal Mail-Server, forwarding mails to my Mail Provider. Mails to my internal Domain are allowed via Mail-Proxy / external SMTP Port (25) and mails to external domains are only allowed through the Mail-Proxy / internal SMTP Port (2525).
I started with allowing all Mails, now I want to limit sending mails to only known Mail senders (by IP/IP-Range or Mail-Whitelist)

I thought, easy game, as we have the senders' statistics, but I found that it does not log all mails somehow...
It seems like all mails sending through the internal SMTP (port 2525) are not logged in the sender statistics.
Is this a bug or a normal behavior ?
Thank you for your help!
Best regards, Robert

On a hunch - check that 'Use advanced statistic' in GUI->Configuration->Options (on the right pane on the top) is disabled

Hi Stoiko, thank you for your quick reply. I checked on that option and it was enabled. I'll now disable it and monitor if the senders statistic is now including the missing E-Mail addresses. Right after disabling it, they are not shown yet. Thank you!

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Mails to my internal Domain are allowed via Mail-Proxy / external SMTP Port (25) and mails to external domains are only allowed through the Mail-Proxy / internal SMTP Port (2525).
How is this configured in your PMG - did you just set the internal port to 2525? or did you modify the postfix config?

Hi Stoiko, we simply configured the internal SMTP port to 2525 without any other modification on local files (only in the web-ui)
I just sent some test-mails, but it also did not show up in the statistics yet.

Unfortunately, I can still not see the e-mail address in the senders' statistic.
It seems like mails going through internal SMTP Proxy are not the problem, but only mails going through external SMTP Proxy do not show up in the statistic. I guess I got it now, as probably only mails from internal SMTP are shown in the statistics.
I guess I have to change the SMTP Ports:
External SMTP Proxy Port = 25 (default) --> change to 2525
Internal SMTP Proxy Port = 2525 (default 26) --> change to 25
I have to test that. Atm, too many mails are going through that server, so I cannot change it right away.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!