A Backup Manager for Proxmox. Possible?

kumarullal

Renowned Member
Jun 17, 2009
LA, USA
Hi. It would be nice to have a pre-configured directory on Proxmox server for managing manual backups with a field for comments. (This should be available as an extra feature. The regular backups via cron jobs for automated backups should continue as it is.)
This is something like "Snapshot Manager" in vmware.
Here the user will be given an option via web interface, to take a backup (using vzdump) to capture the current state of the VE with the field for comments. All the backups will be stored in the pre-configured directory. Then if the user wants to restore the VE from a particular state (looking at the comments for that backup) can restore via web interface using vzrestore.
If this interface is available, then I think it will be fantastic!!!!
Regards
Kumar

Last edited:
Thats great and much anticipated idea!
Just simple tab in existing proxmox panel with the ability to use vzdump in graphical mode.
Like:
1. Create snapshot
2. comment snapshot
3. restore snapshot as vm***
4. delete snapshot.

We could have simple table with following columns:
Name | comment | options

It would look like:
808 | My dev server | X X X X <--Icons representing four basic operation: create, edit comment, restore, delete.
848 | My production server | X X X X

When You click on restore Proxmox will ask about the new vm number.

Kind regards,
Piotr

I would differ on the the vm number.
The snapshot (Backup) should be taken with the original VM number. At the the time of restore, it should destroy the running vm and then restore from the backups (looking at the comments) with the same VM number.
The tab should be called somtehing like "Manual Backup Manager"

This feature alone may enable a lot of users to switch from vmware to proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!