8.2-2 will not install crashes

g4sho

Oct 10, 2021
Hi All, There is a problem with 8.2-2 and my Supermicro x9dri-ln4f+. It will crash before getting to the agree with the terms screen. If I use the onboard vga after the install choice screen(graphic or terminal), I loose video and get out of range on monitor. If I hook up a nvidia graphics card, it gets to were it is loading driver and freezes in the same spot everytime. I had already previously had a proxmox 8 installation on this machine, so I thought it was a problem with the machine. So I went thru all the troubleshooting steps, and took everything out but 4 sticks of ram(dual cpu) and still had the same problem. Before that, I had made another iso install stick, thinking maybe it was a bad flash. But exact same results. I gave up, then I had read something on one of the threads that last year when 8 came out, another user had the same problem with it crashing in the same spot as mine was. And that they downgraded and problem went away, and that there was a bug in the install software. So I did the same and downgraded to 7.4, and guess what problem was solved. Here is the thread. https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-8-installer-freezes-at-boot.129341/ Hardware is Supermicro x9dri-ln4f+, Dual e5-2667v2, 192gb ram. onboard vga, 4-nvme in quad asus card,10gbe solarflare,connectx4lx Mellanox, 2tb single NVMe, 12-3tb sas drives, 12-1tb sata SSD's, adaptec 71624,lsi 9307, 24bay Supermicro Case.

Attachments

• IMG_20230622_125132.jpg
    IMG_20230622_125132.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I forgot, during the troubleshooting thinking it was the hardware, I reflashed bios, and ipmi, and it changed nothing, problem still had persisted.

Have you tried setting the nomodeset kernel parameter as per our documentation? https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#nomodeset_kernel_param

That should then work with the Nvidia card installed.
I was trying to figure out where and how to add that. I hit the e at the install screen, and it showed me a terminal with some text with / behind what looked like parameters, but I could not figure out where to put what. e.g. vga=775 I will look into that again, as I just tried 8.1.2 and it did the same out of range. so can you show me an example of what the kernel parameter modification is supposed to look like? Edit. Figured it out, what a pita, to do a simple install. Put the vga driver back in 8.2 that was in 7.4, spent hours on this, tearing down server, etc. Should not have to rearrange hardware, add graphics cards etc. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!