8.0.2 Installer not seeing both installed NVME drives

Sep 13, 2023
Using one of the Aliexpress Intel N305 fanless units. Can install PVE on one of the drives and the system will boot and function as expected. I would like to do the whole install as a Z1 raid in case one of the nvme drives were to go bad, but the installer only ever sees one drive at a time. Once booted into PVE I can see both disks and a standard Debian 12 installer sees both drives as install targets. Is there something special about the PVE installer that would prevent this?

Hi,

I would like to do the whole install as a Z1 raid in case one of the nvme drives were to go bad
Just remember, RAID should not be mistaken as backup.

In any case, as you mention Aliexpress - what manufacturer/model are these NVMe drives?
If you got some cheap one - they probably report some garbage namespace IDs. The installer ISO uses some older kernel, which does not yet has the quirk for these SSDs, it seems. See also e.g. this kernel bug report.

Your best bet is to install stock Debian 12 (as that recognizes both disks, as you report) and then install Proxmox VE on top of that.

Just in general - these cheap SSDs will go slow and bad very fast, especially if you plan to use ZFS on top of them.

Thanks for the info. Well aware that raid is not backup, it's just redundancy - anything that needs to will be backed up to another device.

The computer is a fanless host sold by topton on Aliexpress, the NVMEs are both 1TB Silicon Power SP001TBP34A60M28 (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/silicon-power-p34a60-m2-nvme-ssd). Cheap, large, and a 5-year warranty.

I guess I'll go in the direction of a Debian install, setup my raid, and then install PVE.

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the info. Well aware that raid is not backup, it's just redundancy - anything that needs to will be backed up to another device.

The computer is a fanless host sold by topton on Aliexpress, the NVMEs are both 1TB Silicon Power SP001TBP34A60M28 (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/silicon-power-p34a60-m2-nvme-ssd). Cheap, large, and a 5-year warranty.

I guess I'll go in the direction of a Debian install, setup my raid, and then install PVE.

Thanks again for your help!
I have N305 6 Nic version - start by installing proxmox-ve_7.4-1 - it recognizes both NVME drives, then update the kernel to 6.2.1. Running BTRFS tho - as it's native. Lots of info installing Proxmox, opnsense, bios optimization etc. on these Fanless appliances on STH (https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/cwwk-topton-nxxx-quad-nic-router.39685/)

Reactions: mediacj

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!