(7.1) LVM Questions

kromberg

Nov 24, 2021
I got a couple of questions in regards to LVM as I am pretty new to it.

1) I have a logic volume( aka a vm disk ) that is now long associated/attached to its vm. Can I just remove it with the 'lvremove' command? I dont see an option for removing it through the GUI.

2) I have an existing VG with a single raid1 mirror in it. I would like to add a SSD for cache and metadata. I dont see a way to modify an existing VG in the GUI, so I assume that needs to be done on the commandline right?

1) I have a logic volume( aka a vm disk ) that is now long associated/attached to its vm. Can I just remove it with the 'lvremove' command? I dont see an option for removing it through the GUI.
Did you tried to go to "YourVM -> Hardware" select that disk (Hard Disk (scsiX)) and then click the "detach" button? In that case the virtual disk should be detached from that VM. After you detached it you should be able to select the detached virtual disk and click the delete button which should also delete the LV that is used for that virtual disk.

The problem is that I have vm-101-disk-0 on two different VGs. I have no idea how the duplicated ended up on the other VG. When I try removing the disk/lg from the VG the vm is not referring two, I get an error saying the VM the disk refers to still exists. That is why I was asking out the 'lvremove' command. Seems like the GUI is preventing it from being removed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!