(7.1) Broken UEFI Boot for VM

This is going to sound really strange, but try changing the chipset of the KVM to q35.

I've seen this behaviour myself, essentially the bootloader on the disc cannot be read, thus boot fails.

Changing the chipset does not help it, still goes to the EFI menu rather than booting/going to the disk.

If the bootloader on the disk can not be read, how can it boot when it is selected through the efi boot menu?

What a PITA all this is. Yet another reason EFI is pure evil and a complete failure. I think all this might be caused by the "LSI SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3" HBA controller that I am passing through to the VM. The VM's main OS/boot drive is coming from a LVM disk from the host. Initially I had the BIOS set to SeaBIOS, but the VM would not boot and would hang on the Machine UUID line. I switched the BIOS to UEFI, it would boot, install the OS, and reboot fine. When I installed the latest kernel that is when it would get into this broken state.

The bootdisk is one of the disks attached to the controller that's passed through to the VM?

*taps chin* Thinking on this, EFI does have some flexibility, I'm wondering if adding a small disk to the KVM, and then copying the Fedora bootloader to it, might be a workaround for now; such a disk should be directly accessible from the Proxmox options menu for the KVM.
If you want to be slightly fancier, you can also make a boot/shutdown script that copies the EFI loader when it changes during upgrades.

Note: Only a temporary workaround, but enough to get you started so you can look in on the problem every so often. Also, I've personally not tried this yet, but it looks like a logical approach. Mira should be able to point you at a better fix, now there is a bit more info regarding the arrangement of boot devices.

The bootdisk is one of the disks attached to the controller that's passed through to the VM?
The boot disk for the VM is supplied by the host. The host supplied disk contains the VM's boot/efi partition, swap partition, and / partition. The disks on the the passthrough controller contain data only.

*taps chin* Thinking on this, EFI does have some flexibility, I'm wondering if adding a small disk to the KVM, and then copying the Fedora bootloader to it, might be a workaround for now; such a disk should be directly accessible from the Proxmox options menu for the KVM.

From the proxmox options/bios menu, it is seeing the bootloader for the VM and boots it if selected. For some reason it is going to the menu instead of boot the bootloader it sees.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!