[SOLVED] 7.1-4 to 7.1-8 update cli disappeared from physical machine ?

errorcodes

Dec 19, 2021
Did a fresh install with PVE 7.1-4, added the non free repo. Updated to 7.1-8 and rebooted.
When the machine came back online the cli was gone(just shows a black screen)? i can still access proxmox via the webui.
Any clue what happened?

I did disable the enterprise repo, but i don't think this would cause the issue?
The monitor detects a siganl from the machine, but it only displays a empty black screen

Last edited:
Connect a physical screen to your Proxmox server
Login to the console then run these two commands
Bash:
ip a && ip r
cat /etc/network/interfaces
If the issue is not clear you may have to post a photo of the screen until you have remote console access

I think i worded my original question poorly. My webui work perfectly fine.
After the update and reboot the physical screen connected to my server only shows a black screen.

Okay i just did another clean reinstall and updated from 7.1-4 to 7.1-8. same thing is happening. but i did see a couple logs like this pop up during the restart

[ 286.021078] BPF: type_id=106347 bits_offset=640
[ 286.021103] BPF:
[ 286.021109] BPF: Invalid name
[ 286.021117] BPF:

The monitor detects a siganl from the machine, but it only displays a empty black screen
During Proxmox boot up it changes the screen resolution to what it thinks your screen supports. Perhaps this is going wrong.

Can you try a different monitor?

During Proxmox boot up it changes the screen resolution to what it thinks your screen supports. Perhaps this is going wrong.

Can you try a different monitor?
I tried with 2 different monitor i got the same issue.
I went to advance options during boot and selected 5.13.19-1-pve instead of the 5.13.19-2-pve and got my terminal back.
So i think there is a bug in the 5.13.19-2-pve kernel.
I will open a bug report i guess

Last edited:
I managed to fix it, i did the following.

1. during the grub menu press e.
2. find the line that starts with 'linux'.
3. add nomodeset to the end.
4. hit 'F10' to resume boot.

Very weird that 5.13.19-1-pve did not have this issue but 5.13.19-2-pve does.
Is this considered a bug? if not lmk and ill mark it as solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!