6.4 to 7.0 didn't work

I ran the command "apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y" and it appeared to be installing Proxmox. I didn't see any errors. When it completed I rebooted the system. When it booted back up however it didn't boot into Proxmox but instead is just at a command prompt and no GUI.

I see it's saying there's a conflict with proxmox-ve-3.10.0. How would I resolve that? I assume that might be why Proxmox 7 isn't starting.

root@pve:~# apt show proxmox-ve -a
Package: proxmox-ve
Version: 7.1-1
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com>
Installed-Size: 26.6 kB
Provides: proxmox-virtual-environment
Depends: apt, openssh-client, openssh-server, proxmox-archive-keyring, pve-kernel-5.13, pve-kernel-helper, pve-manager, pve-qemu-kvm, qemu-server, spiceterm, vncterm
Conflicts: proxmox-ve-3.10.0, proxmox-virtual-environment, pve-kernel
Replaces: proxmox-ve-3.10.0, proxmox-virtual-environment, pve-kernel
Homepage: https://www.proxmox.com
Download-Size: 5,804 B
APT-Sources: http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bullseye/pve-no-subscription amd64 Packages
Description: Proxmox Virtual Environment
The Proxmox Virtual Environment is an easy to use Open Source
virtualization platform for running Virtual Appliances and Virtual
Machines. This is a meta package which will install everything
needed.

Package: proxmox-ve
Version: 7.0-2
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com>
Installed-Size: 26.6 kB
Provides: proxmox-virtual-environment
Depends: apt, openssh-client, openssh-server, proxmox-archive-keyring, pve-kernel-5.11, pve-kernel-helper, pve-manager, pve-qemu-kvm, qemu-server, spiceterm, vncterm
Conflicts: proxmox-ve-3.10.0, proxmox-virtual-environment, pve-kernel
Replaces: proxmox-ve-3.10.0, proxmox-virtual-environment, pve-kernel
Homepage: https://www.proxmox.com
Download-Size: 5,772 B
APT-Sources: http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bullseye/pve-no-subscription amd64 Packages
Description: Proxmox Virtual Environment
The Proxmox Virtual Environment is an easy to use Open Source
virtualization platform for running Virtual Appliances and Virtual
Machines. This is a meta package which will install everything
needed.

Last edited:
Ok, that is looking good.

When it booted back up however it didn't boot into Proxmox but instead is just at a command prompt and no GUI.

On the server where Proxmox is installed you will see no GUI.

On another computer (your PC?) go to (substiute "youripaddress¨ with the server IP):

https://youripaddress:8006

Reactions: cdsJerry
So it's not like in the past where the server comes up and gives you the IP address? I'm not getting that at all, just the command prompt. And if I try to go to the gui page I just get a message that says "192.168.x.x refused to connect (the x's are mine). And yes, I'm at port 8006

There should be message which address to type into your browser.

Last edited:
There should be message which address to type into your browser.
So just like before.... there isn't one. I do know the IP of the machine but it doesn't allow a browser to connect. I'm not convinced Proxmox is running....

Whats the output of apt list --installed | grep proxmox-ve?
Should return "proxmox-ve/stable,now 7.1-1 all [installed]" in case you got proxmox installed. If not you probably deleted PVE and need to install it again using apt install proxmox-ve.

Yes I can SSH into the server (so I know it's the right IP).

root@pve:~# apt list --installed | grep proxmox-ve
WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

Would running an "apt install -f" correct this?

root@pve:~# apt install proxmox-ve
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
ceph-common : Depends: librbd1 (= 14.2.21-1) but 15.2.15-pve1~bpo10 is to be installed
Depends: python3-cephfs (= 14.2.21-1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: python3-rados (= 14.2.21-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
root@pve:~#

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm out of options.
Well I sure appreciate the help. As this is my backup machine I could always start over from the version 7 ISO but that won't help me upgrade my production machine without having the same problem. This one is a learning experience for me. It's much easier on the nerves when it's not the "real" machine I use every day. I think I'll save that one for a weekend and just plan to camp here all weekend.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Whats the output of apt list --installed | grep proxmox-ve?
Should return "proxmox-ve/stable,now 7.1-1 all [installed]" in case you got proxmox installed. If not you probably deleted PVE and need to install it again using apt install proxmox-ve.
apt install -f didn't fix it. Just FYI.

apt install -f didn't fix it. Just FYI.
Well... maybe you should start from Scratch with your "BACKUP"-System and configure it. When everything is working then, migrate all your VMs over from your production-server and do the same.... not an option? I guess safest way for what I read so far....

Well... maybe you should start from Scratch with your "BACKUP"-System and configure it. When everything is working then, migrate all your VMs over from your production-server and do the same.... not an option? I guess safest way for what I read so far....
My backup doesn't have enough capacity to run all my VMs. It's only big enough to run a couple of them. That would work until I did an install on the main machine but it would take a LONG time. It takes about 2 hours to copy each VM over my network and then 2 hours to copy each one back. That means that vm would be down for at _least_ four hours. On those VMs that I couldn't move back over right away because of capacity they'd be down much longer, probably a couple of days. That's less than ideal. If I had more money I'd throw another larger machine at it but the government thought it would be a good idea to close all of us for a while.

...I could always start over from the version 7 ISO....

That is probably the best option making a fresh start.

...but that won't help me upgrade my production machine without having the same problem.

There is always a risk involved. But as they say "hope for the best, prepare for the worst".

From the upgrade guide:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0#Introduction

Preconditions​

• Upgraded to the latest version of Proxmox VE 6.4 (check correct package repository configuration)
  • Hyper-converged Ceph: upgrade the Ceph Nautilus cluster to Ceph 15.2 Octopus before you start the Proxmox VE upgrade to 7.0. Follow the guide Ceph Nautilus to Octopus
  • Co-installed Proxmox Backup Server: see the Proxmox Backup Server 1.1 to 2.x upgrade how-to
  • Reliable access to the node (through ssh, iKVM/IPMI or physical access)
  • A healthy cluster
  • Valid and tested backup of all VMs and CTs (in case something goes wrong)
  • At least 4 GiB free disk space on the root mount point.
  • Check known upgrade issues

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!