5+ disk installation

svennd

Renowned Member
Aug 4, 2014
Hey,

Is it possible to have an installation with more then 5 disks ? I have a 8 disk machine. I'm in doubt about zfs-raid10 or zfs-raid6, either way, i want to use all, is it possible if so how ? :$

thx !

kind regards,

Svenn

I wanted RAIDZ2 or "zfs's raid 10 alternative". Both are oke, so the best way to go at this is installing debian and upgrade to proxmox from there ? or is there a way around in debug installer mode ?

Thanks for the reply Tom!

you want 8 disk in a ZFS RAID10 or zraid? the ISO installer currently does not support this but there is already a feature request for this:

From my extensive reading lots and lots about ZFS, you probably don't want all 8 disks in the same vdev. If you want to do raid-10, then start by using two disks in a mirror at install time, then you can grow your zfs pool by adding more mirror pairs to it. They'll get striped in and you'll have your RAID-10 equivalent.

My current servers I just built have two SSD's for boot/system, and 4 seagate constellations for data. I used the two SSDs on the initial install and manually created another zfs pool with the other four drives afterwards.

From my extensive reading lots and lots about ZFS, you probably don't want all 8 disks in the same vdev. If you want to do raid-10, then start by using two disks in a mirror at install time, then you can grow your zfs pool by adding more mirror pairs to it. They'll get striped in and you'll have your RAID-10 equivalent.

My current servers I just built have two SSD's for boot/system, and 4 seagate constellations for data. I used the two SSDs on the initial install and manually created another zfs pool with the other four drives afterwards.

Yes, i think this is the best way! Have it too. It is much more better performance on hdds were is the whole partion in zfs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!