40GBE - OVS vs Linux Bridge

binarian

Apr 23, 2019
Simple question, but perhaps a not-so-simple response. I am creating a new proxmox rig that will support 40GBE networking. I've read that OVS is better for >10GBE scenarios, but I've also read that OVS can tend to be unstable. Everything I've read is from at least 2 years ago. I've been using a standard Linux Bridge setup for the past 4 or 5 years without issue, but that's been using 10 or 1 gigabit.

What's the 2022 recommendation for running proxmox with 40GBE networking...OVS or a standard linux bridge?

Last edited:
Reactions: kenjreno
use standard linux bridge. (and yes, ovs is more buggy/unstable)

the only way for ovs to best faster than bridge, is to use ovs-dpdk and it's not supported by proxmox.
and it's mainly for pps, no banddwith. you can reach easily 40GB/s without any problem with bridge.

Note than 40gbits/s (and even more 100gbits/s), need good/fast cpu with enough memory channels to handle the memory bandwith too.

it's mainly for pps, no banddwith. you can reach easily 40GB/s without any problem with bridge.

Note than 40gbits/s (and even more 100gbits/s), need good/fast cpu with enough memory channels to handle the memory bandwith too.
Ah, OK. That I didn't know. I'll stick with the bridge then (which honestly, I like more anyway). CPU/memory won't be a problem...at least it darned well better not be. Latest-gen Epyc cpu which has 8-channel memory.

Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!