4.4: Error opening console

Dec 19, 2012
Hi.
I just updated to pve 4.4 yesterday.
(pve-manager/4.4-1/eb2d6f1e (running kernel: 4.4.21-1-pve))

There was also an update of my firefox (here: Ubuntu 14.04. LTS with ff 50.1.0+build2-0ubuntu0.14.04.1).
Today I wanted to open a console of a VM but it doesn't work any more.
The console-windows opens but there's a red error-message:
Code:
Unable to create RFB client -- TypeError: ERROR.captureStackTrace is not a function

Is this a proxmox or a firefox problem? What to do? Of course I already cleared the browser cache...
Thanks.

Last edited:
Same error here. We found it related to the presence of anti-tracking/anti-ad extension, "privacy badger" and "adblock plus" in particular. Note that whitelisting the specific pve GUI site is not sufficient, the problem disappears only disabling the extension globally.
In Privacy Badger case there is impact also in correctly displaying the gui (no live graphs for cpu, io, ecc.).

Wow -- you were absolutely right! I'd never have guessed that!
It was Privacy Badger -- but the problem must be new as it worked with pve 4.3 without any problems so far!
So: Is this a bug or what's the problem behind it?

I think is the combined effect of firefox (50.1 currently) upgrade with ad/tracking block extension. The 4.4 version of pve does not plays a primary role; we have some 4.3 in production, and the problem is exactly the same (exception in noVNC, no live graphs in the GUI)

Last edited:
FWIW, I was having problems with the initial Proxmox 5.1 page not loading at all. Just blank. Disabled all my addons and made no difference.

Found I had dom.storage set to FALSE and that appears to be something Proxmox needs unfortunately. Enabled all my addons, restarted FF 57.0.1 with dom.stroage enabled and it works ok now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!