[SOLVED] 4.1 Installation error: efi_gop.mod and efi_uga.mod not found

Ofiby

Jan 11, 2016
Hi all,
I currently have VE 3.3 installed and looking to install 4.1.

When booting with installation CD i get the following error:
error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/efi_gop.mod' not found
error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/efi_uga.mod' not found

The errors are only on the screen for a split second (had to record a video to be able to read the exact text) before the monitor display a message about the input not being supported (or something similar).

I have tried the following:
  • Re-downloading the installation image, including version 4.0 and 3.4. All came up with the same error. I tried booting 4.1 on my laptop and that worked fine.
  • Different installation methods (booting from sata connected CD and USB connected CD). Also tried booting from USB stick.
  • Disconnected all hard drives except the one I want to install on.
I note that the error I have is similar to this posting. Hence why I tried the different installation methods, but no success.

I booted Debian 8 installation CD on the machine and that works fine.

The motherboard is M4A88TD-M/USB3. Is there a compatibility issue with the newer versions of Proxmox with my motherboard?

Thanks!

AFAIK this is just a leftover from older grub versions - you can ignore those messages. Or do you run into some real problems?

Hi Dietmar,
Unfortunately the installation process stops at that point and I can't continue. The error message pops up for a split second then disappears. The monitor then pops up a message along the lines of "Not optimum mode" or "input not supported" depending on the monitor I used (I tried a couple of different monitors at first because I thought the problem was related to the display).

Thanks!

Problem solved!

Turns out it was display related (so the installation booted up as it should have, it just wasn't displaying it on my monitor). I previously used the VGA connection on my machine and that was the issue. Switched that to the HDMI output and that works fine. So as you mentioned, that error message can be safely ignored.

I went down the wrong debug path because the error message popped up right before the display stopped working.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!