3D-acceleration doesn't work on Windows VM

DarkPro1337

Dec 21, 2021
Hello everyone!
There is a server without built-in video graphics, but with external GPU.
The problem is that Windows virtual machine does not support 3D-acceleration, there are only default video device avalible.
So, question is there are any way to fix this and use external GPU for 3D-acceleration?

hi,

yes you can passthrough the external GPU device using PCI passthrough [0]

please check the link :)

you'll need to enable "IOMMU" by following the wiki and then configure your VM to include the PCI device, afterwards likely you'll need to install the drivers for your GPU inside the VM

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

Hi Oguz,

When or how can we also enable 3D acceleration in SPICE?
SPICE is a lot more convenient for me for various reasons and other softwares like VirtualBox and VirtManager offer that feature (3D accel).
Without 3D I cannot run my VMs in an acceptable manner.

Tnx!

Last edited:
Hi Oguz,

When or how can we also enable 3D acceleration in SPICE?
SPICE is a lot more convenient for me for various reasons and other softwares like VirtualBox and VirtManager offer that feature (3D accel).
Without 3D I cannot run my VMs in an acceptable manner.

Tnx!
hello,

there's an open feature request on our bugtracker for it [0], you can follow progress there :)

[0]: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3849

Hey Oguz!
Yes I'm the one who opened it yesterday. lolll Tnx for pointing it out, I hope others searching for this feature and landing here will then upvote the enhancement. :)

Reactions: oguz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!