3 sever cluster without external storage.

brucexx

Renowned Member
Mar 19, 2015
I have 3 servers, one for keeping quorum and two production servers. I ma planing to put some ssds for quest VMs but I was wondering if I should go with storage replication or ceph on the two production nodes. It is a relatively simple setup and very few VMs will be running there 2 or 3, 4 total SSD drives on two nodes. I am familiar external ceph and I have done storage replication right after it was released. It almost seem like storage replication is an easier solution , I know that it replicates at pre-configured interval but it is ok.

Any advice appreciated.

Thx

I was wondering if I should go with storage replication or ceph on the two production nodes.
If you only have two nodes for production and the third is for quorum only, go with replication and thus ZFS. Ceph needs at least 3 nodes.

Also, instead of using a full PVE installation you could use the QDevice for the third vote which could run on a much smaller device or in a container on another machine (as long as it's not running on the cluster HW). See https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_corosync_external_vote_support

Reactions: Moayad
good point about 3rd node for ceph I guess I have no choice but to go with replication. I need a third physical node , it will have local storage and in case of a total disaster it can serve as a PVE server with restored backup with expected -1.

Is it possible to connect bonded interfaces together server to server without a switch for storage replication ?

Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!