3 Nodes Shared storage options

Sep 27, 2018
Hi All,

Small home cluster here, no HA needed, just need the possibility to move VM's between 2 nodes in order to install regular updates or do hardware maintenance.

My cluster exists of 3 nodes, 2 of them are identical hardware (cpu i5 with 32GB ram) and host all the VM's, the 3th node is an intel NUC i5 with 8GB ram.
All 3 are joined in a cluster, so quorum is ok.

Right now the VM's reside on a Synology NAS over NFS. This works fine, but prevents me from keeping the NAS updated without shutting down all my VM's.

I was thinking if it was possible to create on the 2 identical nodes a shared storage with a 2TB drive in each node. Is this possible and what should I choose regarding the shared storage system?

Kind regards,
Eric

Hi Eric,

Just use ZFS and make sure to set the same storage name on both servers, for example 'local-zfs'.

You will setup replication between the node and the migration will be a breeze.

Bye,
Rares

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!