3.0 Boot Hang

mwixon

Apr 28, 2009
Just did an upgrade from 2.2 -> 2.3, that went fine. Then immediately did an upgrade to 3.0.

Now on boot the boot process stops with the last message being:
Waiting for vmbr0 to get ready (MAXWAIT 2 seconds). It just hangs here forever.

This is a Dell R310

Anyone have any ideas?

Ok, I did a little more checking.

1) Box is pingable
2) ssh is refused (connection refused).
3) I tried the last 2 kernels - same result
4) I tried booting it with the nic unplugged - same result.
5) I went into grub and removed the 'quiet' - booting shows the nic coming up but hangs at the same point.

What happens in the boot script after bringing up the nic? I'm wondering if it is the next step and not waiting for vmbr0

What happens in the boot script after bringing up the nic? I'm wondering if it is the next step and not waiting for vmbr0

Here it is 'Starting rpcbind daemon' (but that can be different on your side because we use dependency based boot)

I don't know if that is it, I can't remember the boot order but wouldn't sshd be up before rpc comes up? Also, I tried to boot a few of the recovery console's from GRUB and got the same result. Are the recovery consoles set to Run Level 1? I'm pretty concerned here. The system was fine after the 2.2 -> 2.3 upgrade. I rebooted after that upgrade. I ran the 2.3 -> 3.0 upgrade and now i'm in an unbootable state.

I'd appreciate any pointers in the right direction.

Here is the end of the boot where it hangs. Note that it looks like I have 2 bad nfs mounts in there, is there any way around this to get the system to the point where I can edit fstab? I'm guessing this is the problem. It will wait here forever, never times out.

Screen Shot 2013-07-23 at 8.35.36 AM.png

The Fix was to boot into knoppix, mount the LV and edit fstab. Getting rid of the bad entries solved the problem. My migration path (over time) was 1.8 -> backup -> restore to 2.2 on new hardware - > 2.3 in place upgrade -> 3.0. I am 90% sure that these fstab entries moved with me, I don't remember making them by hand and I would not have made them into bad entries.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!