2x PVE instance locked up (hard reboot) when CIFS share down

sylsyl

Jun 14, 2024
I am new to Proxmox. I am far from a Linux expert, but can follow instruction. I'm guessing this is a networking problem, at least partially.

I recently set up two PVE instances and linked them in a cluster with a Q device (running on a Pi). I also run PBS as a VM on a Synology NAS. All is working fine. Both nodes have a CIFS share on the NAS. I suspect this is part of the problem.

I followed this guide:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/tutorial-unprivileged-lxcs-mount-cifs-shares.101795/

I now have Plex working nicely in an LXC container using my NAS for storage.

I have recently had two lockups on my NAS. On both occasions, the PVE instances started behaving badly and a grey circle with a ? appeared beside each LXC and VM - but they did appear to be partially working, though with issues. When I tried to reboot the VMs and containers, and subsequently the PVE instance entirely, they all failed to reboot and I had to resort to a hard reset on both nodes.

When I look at the CPU usage graph after the reboot, ironically data is there up until the NAS reboot (which was 2 hours after the NAS lockup). Is there anything I can do to stop the things crashing if the NAS locks up in future, or to reboot the PVE instances (in case I need to do it remotely) without a hard reset? Any logs I should look at?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!