2Node Cluster two_node

bumann

May 1, 2016
Hi,

i have read in forum to use two_node="1" expected_votes="1" option for two node cluster config to not went into problem when one node fails. The problem, i cant find the cluster.conf file in Prox VE 4.2. But i found the corosync.conf. Should i insert only

quorum {
provider: corosync_votequorum
two_node: 1
}

into to solve the "one node alive" problem?!

can you give me the reason why it is not recommended?
What settings are good to normal use the second node in a two node cluster it the first node crash?

can you give me the reason why it is not recommended?
That's very simple (once somebody explains it): Imagine a situation in which the two nodes lose their communication between each other. Both are alive and able to work alone, but they see that the other node is down (at least from their perspective). Which one of them will take over the whole work (aka host the VMs which ran on the other node until the crash happened)? Who is right and takes them over? Both will try to do so and block or destroy each other as both of them have one vote and the expected quorum is 1 -> both are right/alive/...

When you use at least three nodes and one single node fails, the other two see each other, put their votes together and have a majority (2 out of 3 votes). They can kill the failed node by shutting him down (if that didn't happen in the first place) and continue their work.

Cheers, Johannes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!