[SOLVED] 2 Node Cluster -VMs have internet access on one but not the other

RickoT

Jun 30, 2020
Greetings,
I have just built a 2 node proxmox cluster.

I have 2 machines with identical hardware as follows:
  • 8 Core Processor
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 1 SSD
  • 2 NICs (one built in, one card)
Network Config (identical on each device except CDIR obviously)
1593546477827.png

/etc/network/interfaces
2020-06-30_12h27_17.png

The firewall is configured as such:
1593546556463.png

The only difference in both machines, is Node 1 has been tinkered with to fix the issue, but node2 was out of the box untouched except for network config.
On node 1:
  • From VM
    • Can ping bridge IP
    • Can't Ping LAN IP or hostname
    • Can't ping internet IP or hostname
  • From Host
    • Can Ping Bridge IP
    • Can ping LAN
    • Can ping internet
On Node 2:
  • From VM
    • Can Ping Bridge IP
    • Can ping LAN
    • Can ping internet
  • From Host
    • Can Ping Bridge IP
    • Can ping LAN
    • Can ping internet
Any assistance would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
~Rick

So after more tinkering and looking deeper into the network stack.. I discovered that yes, my proxmox config was perfect... but docker had messed something up with how the bridge was operating and I think attaching to the nic instead of the bridge (maybe overriding the network config?) who knows. I deleted the default docker_gwbridge network and it works fine. So this was basically my own fault but I'm happy to share it with anyone else who tries to build proxmox with docker

Thanks!
~Rick

Just to add an additional note, it turns out that I had installed docker and configured it on Node 1 and created a swarm and all that, but did nothing with node 2 except add it to the swarm... will need to keep an eye on this as I work more with docker on these nodes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!