2 node cluster vm migration between local storage issues

FishCorp

Nov 30, 2021
Hello Forum!

I'm trying to do something that i thought was a fairly simple job, but apparently not :)

I have a two node cluster:

Server1:
Disk1: System+VMStorage disk (450GB ZFS) listed as local + local-zfs under the node storage.

Server2:
Disk1: System NVME disk (120GB ZFS) listed as local + local-zfs under the node storage.
Disk2: VM Storage disk (700~ GB ZFS) listed as 'vmstore'

The VM i'm trying to migrate is on Server 2, stored on the 'vmstore' drive - and i can find no combination of migration-settings, online / offline that works. I've tried setting the target of the migration to the local-zfs drive on Server1 but the migration job fails.

Can anybody offer a solution (besides offline full back + restore)? Eg. could i rename the local-zfs pool on Server 1 to 'vmstore' somehow?

Best regards,
Rune / FishCorp

Hello,

for online-migration / live-migration with zfs your storage-pools need to be named same. E.g. you can only live-migrate from server1 / local-zfs to server2 / local-zfs and vice versa. From vmstore ( server2 ) to local-zfs ( server1 ) you have to shutdown the vm, then migrate.

greetings

EDIT: shutdown vm ( as server could be misinterpreted )

Hi VoIP-Ninja! Thank you for responding.

I'm a little wiser this morning, than i was last night when i wrote the post.

When migrating with the server running, i have the option in the interface to specify a storage-target on the remote node - but when the VM is powered off this "field" in the interface disappears! But - it doesn't work anyway :D. The job fails when migrating from 'vmstore' > 'local-zfs'.

I then moved the test-vm disk to local-zfs on the source server, and then the migration works as expected back and forth!

However: when i tested migrating from server1 (stored in 'local-zfs') to server2 with 'vmstore' set as a target - the job completes, but ends up on local-zfs on the remote node, despite having specified a different target .. so it would seem like i have run into this bug:

https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1804

Can anybody confirm this?

Best,
Rune

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!