2 network card

vipTelnet

Mar 20, 2021
There was a need to create another subnet with virtual machines for the proxmox.
The first subnet 192.168.0. * Exists and is completely filled with virtual machines.
For this, an additional network card was installed in the computer.
Proxmox sees it but writes that it is not active. How should it be turned on?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 9
You don't need another physical network card if your vmbr0 subnet is full. Just open up the subnet mask or consider segregating your network in smaller subnets.

I still need the new virtual machines to be on the 192.168.1. * Subnet and to communicate with them through the second physical network card.
How can i do this ?
Do I need to create another bridge?

Yes, you can define another bridge (vmbr1 for example) and select the new NIC as bridged port. If your host doesn't need an address for itself you can leave the address fields empty.

But you know that you could just expand your IP range be changing the Subnet mask from 24 to 23? 192.168.0.0/23 would allow you to assign 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.254 and all your existing VMs could keep their IPs. So you wouldn't need second NIC or another bridge.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!