2 clusters one nfs share?

copymaster

Nov 25, 2009
Hi i have a question regarding the clusterconfiguration. Actual i am running a cluster proxmox 2.3 with one NFS Share on which all vm images reside. Now i want to build a new cluster with proxmox 3. The goal is to migrate the old one to the 3.x cluster Is it possible to install a new server Proxmox 3.X and connect to the same NFS share to softly migrate the machines or would this lead to problems? I already tried to update from 2.3 to 3.X, but within the update process the installation fails and the updated server didn' t work any more. so a simple question: is it possible to use one nfs share from a proxmox 2.3 and a 3.x cluster ( i know that i can not use the same virtual machine on prox 2.3 AND 3.0)

I use nfs for backup.
I've two clusters (7 nodes) connected to this nfs server without any problem.
I simply not shared the same subdirectory, because you can have problems if you have two vm on different clustrer with the same id.
So i shared /mynfsserver/cluster1 -> connected to cluster1, and /mynfsserver/cluster2, connected to cluster2.

I recently used the nfs for migrating vm. I created a backup on cluster2 and restored this backup on cluster1.
I just moved/renamed the backup file from /mynfsserver/cluster2 to /mynfsserver/cluster1

I think it can be done, provided you are very careful with VMIDs, for disks and backups...
otherwise create another share on the same nfs and move things between them, it will not use extra space.

Marco

As already suggested in 2 of the posting above, creating a separate NFS share for the new cluster is the most logical way to go. In your existing NFS Server if the NFS share is in /mnt/data1 right now, just create another folder /mnt/data2 and share it as NFS for the new cluster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!